Merger Feasibility Report and Model
Assess the feasibility and benefits of a potential merger between the two companies.
Shareholders of the companies knew each other and through discussions believed there was potential value from merging – they decided further investigation was required.
- Consider and assess the strategic rationale for a merger between the two companies.
- Provide a recommendation to the board if there is merit in pursuing a merger transaction.
- Advise what next steps are required if a merger were to proceed.
- Agreed with management the relative strengths and constraints of each business and identified where both groups would benefit from a merger.
- Quantified the revenue and cost synergies that may be realised from combining the two businesses.
- Built a forecast merger model which incorporated standalone forecasts of both companies, a combined forecast, supported by the estimated synergies.
- Active Directions facilitated the decision making process across the two companies that resulted in a decision to move forward with a merger including recommendations on valuations and shareholder value.
- Active Directions identified 4% of additional operational efficiencies and 10% of additional revenue synergies (representing uplift of 36% on combined standalone EBITDA) resulting from the proposed merger.
Top 3 Tips
Clients that require strategic merger feasibility advice should:
- Understand how their business is positioned, their objectives, challenges and what is required to get to the next level.
- Be realistic about their strengths and weaknesses and understand strengths and weaknesses of potential partners.
- Be prepared to develop robust financial forecasts that can be used to quantify the impact of different strategic options, or their journey, from partnership, strategic alliance to joint venture and/ or merger.